Hello, hello. Committing to a "final" story has been a problem with me for as long as I have been making them up to keep myself entertained. (Which is to say, my whole life.) Writers who seem to effortlessly visualize a singular story arc from beginning to end confound and impress me- story writing for me is somewhere more between the frustrating struggle of alchemists to pull different components together to create something greater (definite nod to the attempt to marry the physical and mental/spiritual/emotional that those guys strove towards, as well) and a modern doctor Frankenstein story, where I harvest limbs off of previous, lifeless stories or ideas of mine and try to smoosh and sew them together, crossing my fingers for a little lighting storm spark to bring it all to life.
Does that make sense? I maybe took those analogies too far, but playing with words in this ways is fun, and cathartic after working through the story writing process yesterday. I probably looked like a crazy person, pacing through Woodland Park and walking directionless loops around town, frowning intently at the sidewalk or dapple patterns of the sun vs tree leaves. The sound of the breeze in the trees was my music, en lieu of an iPod. Sometimes my roommate lets me listen hers- it helps me get into the zone when I'm at penciling or inking stages to get to be outside, but still be in my own little music bubble. But I digress- that is beginning info for a later stage. On to the good stuff.
Below are scans of my initial chronicles of work- very very dry, boring technical stuff, as well as concept and character development drawings and writings. I'm learning that my process to start working out a story is a hybrid of thumbnailing and scribbling down important plot points or dialog. Dialog kills me, so if I think of conversations I get them down ASAP. Here's my brainstorming thus far. I know it looks rough, but I think I have the whole story figured out now. Woo!






No comments:
Post a Comment